Janu Sirsasana (Head to Knee Pose) – Get Enviable Body the Yoga Way
Yoga asanas are an ancient practice in India. It has also been a consistent way of keeping body and mind fit always. However, the modern practitioners have modified and classified it to suit the present lifestyle. It has also been classified into a number of categories depending level of skill of a practitioner.
The Janu Sirsasana is classified under beginners/ basic pose. This asana can be easily performed at home. The asana is also termed as ‘the head-to-knee pose’ or ‘the seated forward bend pose’.
The Janu Sirsasana pose is an integral part of the Ashtanga yoga and can be used as a relaxation pose.
Here are step by step instructions on how to perform this yoga:
Step 1: Dandasana Pose
Sit down on the floor in Dandasana pose.
Step 2: Straight
Keep your legs and spine straight.
Step 3: Rest Palms on Ground
Place your hands besides your thighs on the floor in a way that the palms rest on the ground.
Step 4: Leg and Knee
Bend right leg from the knee and fold it. Place it on the inner side of your left thigh.
Step 5: Legs Straight
Keep your left leg straight.
Step 6: Hands off Floor
Lift your hands off the floor and place it on the upper side of left thigh.
Step 7: Reach Toes
Inhale and slide your hands over your leg in the forward direction. Do this till you reach toes.
Step 8: Bend Body
Bend your body from your waist as you slide in the forward direction.
Step 9: Slide Forward
Exhale as you slide forwards.
Step 10: Stay and Release
Remain steady in this position for 30 seconds and then release.
Step 11: Repeat
Repeat this activity 10 times daily.
The Janu Sirsasana Benefits
- Calms the brain.
- Helps relieve mild depression.
- Relieves stress.
- It gives a good stretch to groins, spine, shoulders, thighs, hamstrings, and calf muscles.
- Stimulates liver and kidneys.
- Enhances capacity of lungs to a great extent.
- Improves your digestive system.
- The yoga asana helps in reliving the symptoms of menopause.
- It relives practitioner of anxiety.
- Offers relief from fatigue.
- Beneficial in relieving menstrual discomfort.
- The asana is the best option for losing weight.
- Reduces belly fat.
- Helps tone abdominal organs.