Healthy Way to Make Rotis – Healthy Food that Tastes Good
Roti, or the Indian bread is an inevitable part of our life. This is one of the healthiest foods as it is prepared from wheat flour and other grains. Here are some simple recipes to make rotis healthier and tastier:
The Oats Roti
Cooking with oats can be quite challenging. It is nutritious and healthy. We all know it. However, it may not always taste good especially when are trying to incorporate it into Indian style recipes. This is also the reason most of us are apprehensive of including oats into daily dietary regime.
Oats Nutrition Value
Nutritional value per 100 g
- Energy – 1,628 kJ (389 kcal)
- Carbohydrates – 66.3 g
- Dietary fibre – 10.6 g
- Fat – 6.9 g
- Protein – 16.9 g
- Thiamine (vit. B1) – 0.763 mg (66%)
- Riboflavin (vit. B2) – 0.139 mg (12%)
- Niacin (vit. B3) – 0.961 mg (6%)
- Pantothenic acid (B5) – 1.349 mg (27%)
- Folate (vit. B9) – 56 μg (14%)
- Calcium – 54 mg (5%)
- Iron – 5 mg (38%)
- Magnesium – 177 mg (50%)
- Manganese – 4.9 mg (233%)
- Phosphorus – 523 mg (75%)
- Potassium – 429 mg (9%)
- Zinc – 4 mg (42%)
- β-glucan (soluble fibre) – 4 g
The Oats Roti tastes good!
- Wheat flour – 1 cup
- Chick pea flour – 1/4 cup
- Oats – 3/4 cup, powdered
- Onion – 1, small, finely chopped
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsps, finely chopped
- Carrot – 1, peeled and grated
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green chili-ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder – large pinch
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Oil as required
Step 1: In a large bowl, you need to mix all the above ingredients excluding oil.
Step 2: Now add water few tablespoons at a time and make soft dough.
Step 3: Keep the dough aside for about 10 minutes.
Step 4: Now prepare rotis by rolling out a large lemon sized amount of dough on a flour dusted surface.
Step 5: It is now time to heat an iron or non-stick tawa.
Step 6: Once the tawa is hot, place a roti and cook till it lightly turns colour.
Step 7: Now flip over and cook the other side till light brown spots form.
Step 8: You should now drizzle little oil all over the roti and roast to a nice golden brown shade on both the sides. Remove onto a serving plate.
You can serve these yummy oats rotis warm with yogurt, pickle and curry of your choice.