Indigestion during Pregnancy
Many pregnant women complain of indigestion during the last trimester of pregnancy. This is not a very serious issue. It is just another common sign of pregnancy.
Also known as upset stomach, women feel bloated during this period. A feeling of gas filled in the stomach. This is usually followed by heartburn. Heartburn is a burning sensation around the heart, in the chest region.
During pregnancy, the muscles of the digestive tract get relaxed due to the hormones, particularly progesterone. These hormones slow down the movement of digested food in the intestines, and relax the valve in oesophagus. When the uterus expands, it puts pressure on the stomach. The pressure pushes back the food into the food pipe. This condition normally occurs during the last trimester. This makes the woman experience a burning sensation between the tummy and chest. They can experience acidity or make them feel bloated and gassy.
Prevention of indigestion during pregnancy
• Indigestion is not a big issue to worry about. However, you can make use of the tips mentioned below:
• Break the diet into many smaller meals. Have about 5-6 healthy meals in a day instead of 3 heavy meals.
• Avoid oily or spicy food.
• Include fresh fruits, vegetables, dried fruits, dairy products and a variety of cereals in your diet.
• Avoid vegetables that produce gas, such as cabbage and broccoli.
• Do not sleep immediately after having a meal. Wait for at least one to two hours after eating before going to bed.
• Do not gulp down a lot of water in between your meals.
• Cut down on chocolate and caffeine.
• Keep the upper part of your body slightly elevated by using few pillows.
• Keep your body hydrated. Drink lot of water. Use coconut water, ginger ale, lemonade, and buttermilk.
• Wear loose and comfortable clothes so that there is no pressure on the tummy or abdominal area.