Agnisar Pranayama – Instructions and Benefits
Agnisar is an integral part of of pranayama.
How to Practice Agnisar Pranayama:
Step 1: Sit in Padmasana and keep the hands on the knees in a comfortable position.
Step 2: Close the eyes slightly and focus on the mind with normal breathing.
Step 3: Exhale slow, deep and stable breathe.
Step 4: Stop the breath outside.
Step 5: Stretch both the hands straight and keep them on the knees with slight pressure.
Step 6: Contract and expand the stomach.
Step 7: Try to touch the navel deep inside the stomach.
Step 8: Keep the stomach and hands normal before inhaling.
Step 9: Take deep, stable and slow breathe.
The above mentioned 9 steps completes one cycle of Agnisar pranayama. In one cycle you must contract and expand the stomach at least 10 times. Gradually, increase the number to 20 and then 30.
Initially, you can practice it for 5 times and then slowly increase is it up to 15 cycles. After accomplishing the cycles successfully, breathe normally, rest for sometime and then do shavasana.
- You must do this pranayama in the morning hours after attending nature’s call and getting free from other important morning chores. For evening practitioners, the pranayama should be done after four hours of having meals.
- During winters, Agnisar pranayama should be done as per the procedures. This is also the best time for this pranayam.
- During summers after doing this pranayama, about ten rounds of Shitali pranayama should be definitely practiced.
- During the practice period the person should eat simple, pure food.
- Avoid eating heavy, oily, fried and non- vegetarian food.
- Strictly avoid smoking and consumption of alcohol completely.
- Those suffering from intestinal problems, hernia, high blood pressure and other diseases should not practice it.
- Stop the practice immediately if you experience tiredness.
Benefits of Agnisar Pranayama
Agnisar pranayama enhances internal energy and gives vitality. It is good for those suffering with constipation, indigestion and loss of appetite. It eliminates excessive fat on the stomach and strengthens the internal organs, muscles, nerves and blood veins.